Introducing Tetto di Carolina, the crowning jewel of the Carolina precinct.
anticipation, celebrated restaurateur Joe Mammone (Bar
Carolina, Il Bacaro, Sarti) and partners Joey Dee and James Sutherland will
unveil Tetto di Carolina on
Wednesday, 31 July. A European cocktail bar, Tetto is set to offer the
exceptional service and world-class hospitality synonymous with Mammone’s
respected stable of Italian venues.
“There was no question of compromise upstairs – the vision was to complement what we had already created at Bar Carolina with a sophisticated bar environment. With the launch of Tetto, there’s no longer need to entertain at home,” says Mammone.
Esteemed designer Chris Connell conceived the intimate, luxuriant space, with each fitting and finishing made bespoke for the venue. The focal piece – a six-metre bar of walnut, caramel porcelain tiling and sculptured steel metalwork – forms the stage.
A drinks list curated by award-winning cocktail bartender Alex Dyzart of London’s acclaimed Bar III will be cocktail-forward, complemented by a melange of premium champagne and sparkling, as well as a tighter selection of European and Australian wines.
Signature concoctions will include:
- Wall Street – Dry orange and cherry cooked bourbon, spiced burnt honey, sandalwood
- American Beauty (pictured) – Select Aperitivo, Maidenii Sweet Vermouth, strawberry and jasmine
- Florence Revival – Melbourne Single Shot Gin, fennel flower, lemon
- Copacabana Fizz – Aged rum, fig leaf, pineapple, clarified almond, prosecco
Executive Chef Matteo Tine’s menu will offer refined Italian small plates designed to complement guests’ aperitivo of choice, including:
- Pine-smoked mussels scapece, butterbean–sweet vermouth sauce, wild rice
- Jurassic quail spiedini, Jerusalem artichoke, roasted grapes
- Spicy I.F.C, brioche bun, fennel slaw, pickles
- Sfinci, chestnut flour honey, roasted hazelnut, milk chocolate
Guests ascending the stairs to Tetto will be welcomed by Joey Dee to the venue, which features a rich palette of deep garnet tones, elegant terrazzo tiling and polished timber. With an extensive background in music, Dee has coordinated a sound schedule that will take guests on a journey with Melbourne’s premier jazz pianists and musicians.
Under a feature curved ceiling, Tetto will accommodate up to 120 guests across generous leather banquettes, front-row seats at the bar and an al fresco terrace with views of leafy South Yarra. A venue that would feel equally at home in London or Rome, Tetto di Carolina will transport guests across the world, though they might need simply to cross Toorak Road.
Address: Level 1/48 Toorak Road, South Yarra VIC 3141
Opening hours: Wednesday 4pm–11pm, Thursday 4pm–1am, Friday & Saturday 12pm–1am, Sunday 2pm–11pm
Main image: Kristoffer Paulsen